[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing TrueType Fonts

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 06:49:24 UTC 2012

> 1.       Copy the ttf files to /usr/share/fonts

Better create a folder inside /usr/share/fonts and store them there.

> 2.       pkg install font-utilities (if not already installed)
>
> 3.       Run mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts
>
> 4.       Run mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts

Well I think these commands are not necessary anymore as they were
some sort of "support" files in order for X to be able to use them.
For example there are no files fonts.dir and fonts.scale in my
/usr/share/fonts/OpenType yet the fonts are usable. (OK some
old applications like XMMS cannot use these fonts unless these
file will not be there and I am not so sure whether this will
make them usable.)

> 5.       Run fc-cache /usr/share/fonts

A.S.