[OpenIndiana-discuss] help with 3ware driver

Thorsten Heit thorsten.heit at vkb.de
Mon Aug 13 09:16:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

> 2012-08-10 21:44, openindiana пишет:
> > I have a server (currently running linux) that I'm hoping to
> convert to OI.  The first point in question is whether or not OI
> will support the 3ware controller card.
> >
> > I looked at the OI HCL on the wiki, and it's basically an empty
> list, so I hope the actual compatibility is more than just what's on
> that page...
> >
> > I booted the OI CD, and it scans for storage, and says it couldn't
> find any.  So I go back to load drivers, and it identifies the 3ware
> 9650e device as having no driver...
> >
> > I went to the download page for 3ware, and they have opensolaris
> drivers available for this card ... But the OI installer is
> expecting a svr4, du, or p5i file, while the opensolaris tarball
> just contains a single 59K file called "tw"
> >
> > Might this combination actually work somehow?  Am I doing
> something wrong?  Looking in the wrong places, for the wrong thing?
> Should I simply rename that file "tw.p5i" or something like that?
> >
> > Clues, advice, appreciated...   ;-)
>
> I am not sure it will *work*, but you can try copying the file in the
> tarball to /kernel/drv (perhaps you can "file" this file to see if it
> is 32- or 64-bit and appropriately place it to amd64 subdir if needed).
>
> Then run something like "devfsadm -Cv", update_drv or add_drv to load
> the driver and bind it to hardware. You'd likely need to add a correct
> PCI ID (see "prtconf -v") to /etc/driver_aliases, maybe something to
> /etc/name_to_major.

Back in the OpenSolaris days I had a similar problem with OSOL 2009.06
(build 111a) and a HP ProLiant ML350G5 server with a built-in SmartArray
E200i controller: The live CD doesn't contain drivers for those cards, but
on HP's website you can download them as a SVR4 package. Using Google I
found a quite easy solution to get them working, although I don't know if
this trick (still) works on OI:

1. Boot OSOL from the live CD
2. Activate / setup your network connection
3. Download the drivers
4. Open a terminal and execute the following command:

%> pfexec touch /ADD_DRV_IGNORE_ROOT_BASEDIR

Then you're able to install the SVR4 driver package via

%> pfexec pkgadd -d /path/to/driver/package

which is directly used and even installed on the server when you start the
installation process.

HTH

Thorsten