[OpenIndiana-discuss] google drive on openindiana?

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:02:06 UTC 2012

Chrome/Chromium is a better browser than Firefox in essentially every
single way. Promoting a better browser is not shameful, it's good customer
service.

Chromium is fully open source. The difference is that Google Chrome is a
customized Chromium build. The same as the build on Ubuntu is different
than the build on Windows. The differences are outlined here:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome. If
you're on a system with Chrome installed, you can either launch it
incognito, which disables all their 'proprietary trackers', or you can
disable all of them through settings.

If the Ubuntu system you were on had no way to select a different browser,
that would be something the system was having an issue with. Sounds like
there wasn't another handler installed for http links.

Chrome is only 1.2GB of space when you have multiple versions installed, so
Adobe Reader didn't install it at that point, it would've been installed
previously, and Reader MAY have upgraded it when you agreed to install
Chrome when you agreed to download the Reader installer. It's very clear on
the screen, it has a picture of Chrome, the Chrome logo, a highlighted box
that says "Yes, install Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for
Internet Explorer – *optional*. (28.4 MB) Install
Options<http://get.adobe.com/reader/>
."

Adobe ditched Flash for Android, not for anything else. And really, that
was for the best, Flash sucks on Android. Google's inclusion of Flash is no
different than the builtin PDF reader or the built in MP3 codec, they're
common enough things to be included by default. It's just one plugin that I
don't have to go and install myself after the fact.

Google has some significant issues, their data collection being the most
obvious. But to say that they're acting anything like MS did in the 90s is
ridiculous.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
>
>  I was at a presentation yesterday evening about google drive, and tried
>> it out on my OI environment today.
>>
>> It seems that not having Chrome on OI, or the special Google Drive
>> software GDrive, limits the experience significantly.. Lots of Drive Apps
>> require Chrome and those that do sort of work on Firefox seem to have
>> problems being made available for the Open With menu on Google Drive, or
>> even accessing the Drive for storing results.
>>
>> Has anyone found  a way to integrate Google Drive neatly into an Open
>> Indiana environment? Or can this be expected to be easier in the future?
>>

> Unless Google Chrome is made completely available as free open source,
> including all mutimedia players, and with a way to disable Google's
> proprietary trackers, it should be seen as an outright assault on Solaris
> and its derivatives.
>
> Google's ploys for encouraging the installation and use of Chrome
> (displacing Firefox) are downright shameful.
>
> Yesterday I was using a Ubuntu Linux system remotely.  I clicked on a link
> and a window popped up asking if I wanted to make Chrome my default browser
> and if I wanted to start Chrome.  There was no way to quit this window
> other than 'xkill' (Window manager buttons disabled) and no way to select a
> different browser.
>
> Likewise, on a Windows VM with limited storage allocation, I installed
> Adobe Reader.  The installation process also installed Google Chrome (1.2GB
> of precious space) at the same time with no indication that it was going to
> do such a thing and no apparent way to opt out.
>
> Now Adobe is ditching Flash except for from within Google Chrome. Adobe
> has become allied with Google and is transferring its various monopoly
> powers (Flash and Acrobat Reader) to Google.
>
> Google is rapidly becoming the next Microsoft.
>
> Bob
> --
> Bob Friesenhahn
> bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/**
> users/bfriesen/ <http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/>

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me