[OpenIndiana-discuss] Should I upgrade the pool?

Mike La Spina mike.laspina at laspina.ca
Sun Aug 19 12:42:02 UTC 2012

Hi Robert,

You do not need to enable the feature flags at this point however you will in the future need to consider the following:

You have come to a fork in the road. You can chose one of two directions going forward.

1. Follow the illumos path which is open and has a community.
2. Follow the Horacle path and hold your position with the ability to move back to Solaris ZFS.

You are running a home ZFS server so the risk is very small at this point and it's really a question of what you trust.
Do you believe that Horacle will bring something to their closed works which could be more appealing than our community based illumos path offers?

For example illumos can mount any version of ZFS with feature flags, Express/Solaris cannot.

Regards,
Mike