[OpenIndiana-discuss] Probably small question

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Aug 21 12:51:45 UTC 2012

2012-08-21 12:12, Michael Zandstra пишет:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I decided I want a simple storage server at home. Looking at several options I decided to use an OpenSolaris-derative and OpenIndiana was an easy pick from there on.
>
> I had an old EeePC 701 4G (would be perfect to place hidden far away) laying around and tried the Desktop version. Though it's too bloated for my use (a gui was far too hard for the little fellow), it worked perfectly over WiFi. Then I installed the server version, since this is of course a lot less in resources. But for some reason the wifi-drivers are not included in the server version. Is there any way to copy them over and configure them correctly? (Probably need additional tooling for WPA2 and iwconfig or something like that).

Well, these are the same OS with different sets of packages, you
have a couple of options:

1) Use the GUI version which includes the drivers, and just disable
the interactive graphical services from booting (or even uninstall
them, reducing the on-disk footprint - though I wouldn't recommend
that because some software you might want to add later might rely
on generic graphical libraries that go with the GUI software);

2) Use the "server" (text-installer) version and add the wifi
packages as you originally intended. You'd likely need a wired
LAN connection for this to happen. I don't have wifi on my boxes
so can't recommend a precise working package set; the default
installation does include some driver packages for specific chips
and the management software:
pkg://openindiana.org/system/network/wificonfig
pkg://openindiana.org/service/network/wpa

pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/rtw
   realtek 8180L 802.11b driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/urtw
   RealTek RTL8187L/B USB 802.11b/g Wireless Driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/mwl
   Marvell 88W8363 IEEE802.11b/g Wireless Network Device Driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/ipw
   Intel Pro. Wirless 802.11b IPW2100B Driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/iwh
   Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100/5300 driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/iwi
   Intel Pro. Wirless 802.11a/b/g IPW2200B/G IPW2915A/B/G Driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/iwk
   Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/iwp
   Intel(R) WiFi Link 6000 series driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/atu
   Atmel AT76C50x USB IEEE 802.11b Wireless Device Driver
pkg://openindiana.org/driver/network/ath
   Atheros AR52xx 802.11b/g Wireless NIC Driver

There is likely more that I've missed, so to be on the safe side I'd
go with the GUI install and disable the GUI so as not to spend RAM.

On a side note, WiFi might not be the best connectivity option for
a storage server - unless you want it hidden in some wall cavity ;)

Also, the EeePC's are notably compatible with OpenSolaris since the
dawn of times, but the CPU and RAM are reportedly weak for ZFS, at
least don't expect any high performance. Lack of ECC RAM may also
be a risk to data integrity.

Overall, laptops I've seen used as 24/7 servers tended to overheat,
which may increase the risks related to uncaught noise in RAM/CPU
and faster aging of the HDD components. In particular such life
left unremovable churn marks (imprints of keyboard keys if the
laptop was left closed, or leaked bubbles of LCD fluid) on their
display panels. Also the overheated batteries tend to wear out
really fast and without any real power-backup use - so don't
expect that your fileserver of a laptop would have an integrated
UPS for long. You've been warned, good luck ;)

HTH,
//Jim