[OpenIndiana-discuss] Probably small question

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Aug 21 13:39:03 UTC 2012

2012-08-21 17:08, Michael Zandstra пишет:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the response. The GUI version won't work, since the device has a 4Gbyte SSD (which nets at 3.8Gbyte) and simply refuses to be installed on something that small. So it's a bit of a chicken or the egg dilemma.
>
> I'll try with the packages as mentioned, but also saw SmartOS should have the drivers in the default image. I'm not sure as of yet, but maybe I'll try that one.
>
> Further more, I'm very sure this thing won't break any speed-records. I'll try to add a small piece of the SSD (1GB or 500Mb) as L2ARC though, maybe it will speed it up a bit.

What good is a storage server that nets 4Gb including its OS? ;)
Or would the EeePC command some attached HDDs?

Also, what do you assume to get by adding an SSD accelerator to
an already SSD-based pool, as it stands now? My guess would be
that you'd only add latencies and possibly reduced bandwidths.

Likely, your EeePC system disk is a true SSD (SATA or the like),
while an added device would be some flash card (CF, SD, MicroSD)
or a USB flash key? From what I hear, the latter are geared and
optimized towards sequential IO as seen in digital cameras, and
may perform poorly as random-IO stores typical for L2ARC.

Luckily, with current OI you can add and remove L2ARCs on the
fly to test whether these give you any benefits.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov