[OpenIndiana-discuss] Very slow write performance on a 3 disk raidz1-0 zpool

Bryan Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:45:28 UTC 2012

Everything I posted about revolved around the impression that you had
terrible performance because of the incorrectly reported block size (many
newer drives do this, it does affect performance in some cases but not this
bad).

Sašo is perfectly right, dedup on a system with 1GB RAM is going to grind
it to a halt.

Disable dedup on the pool, or if you want to do things optimally you could
copy the data off the pool, recreate it with only compression and recopy it
over...

Zpool-12 was mentioned because the system-supplied one only creates pools
with an ASHIFT value of 9. This means that on a 512 byte per block disk the
pool starts properly on a block boundary, while on a 4k per block Advanced
Format drive it starts mid-block (hope I got this right, holler if I'm
wrong) and the whole pool is skewed, with the disk controller working in XP
compatibility mode and yielding poor performance. For this reason someone
created zpool-12, a modified version of the zpool command that allows you
to specify the ASHIFT value and avoid this issue. Still won't prevent the
freakin' firmware on the Caviar Greens from spinning them down very often,
though!

Bryan