[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hba choice

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 20:31:41 UTC 2012

So what's the best option for people like myself, running a home server,
that don't have the extra $300 to drop on every hard drive? I'm coming up
on 90% full on my pool, so I'm going to need to expand or replace. I'd
rather buy some disks and an expander like this one:
http://<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
www.amazon.com<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
dp<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
ie<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
=<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
UTF8<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
&<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
qid<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
=1345839377<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-RAID-Expander-Card-RES2SV240/dp/B0042NLUVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839377>
than have
to buy a whole new motherboard so I can add another full controller. I
don't have any open PCIe slots, and SATA over PCI is a waste of everything.

Are the issues with SATA over SAS expanders that prevalent? I haven't had
any issues with SATA over SAS on my LSI controller.
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 08/24/2012 06:15 PM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> > On 8/24/2012 12:08 PM, Rich wrote:
> >> You know, you'd think so.
> >>
> >> There's lots of opinions on SAS expanders, and the general consensus
> >> seems to be "if you can avoid the complication, doso".
> >>
> > The only complaints I've heard are putting SATA drives on SAS
> > expanders.  Even that is not very clear - lots of he said/she said
> > stories out there...
>
> I would generally tend to agree with the "no SATA on SAS expanders"
> sentiment, especially given that expanders are relatively dumb devices
> and so expecting them to play nicely in any kind of heavy-weight
> protocol translation is sort-of playing with fire. However, I've yet to
> see a problem with SAS-on-SAS expanders, especially considering that
> this allows you to easily grow storage and utilize dual-porting natively
> built into all SAS drives (not to speak of high-order SAS topologies,
> such as with LSI's SAS switches).
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Saso

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me