[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hba choice

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 20:48:42 UTC 2012

There's a huge difference between home rigs and enterprise builds. Sure
I'm running lower-spec hardware for home use. No need to use SAS for
that, I'm very happy with my HP MicroServer, it has 8GB of ECC DRAM, 6
on-board AHCI SATA ports and I've loaded it up with WD Red drives (rated
for 24x7 around the clock operation), a 60GB Vertex 3 l2arc, all well
under $1000.

SATA on SAS buses will work for most scenarios and if you're not putting
high strains on your hardware, you should be okay. What I'm arguing
against (and many other people are) is putting them in high-performance
rigs where the bus is going to see lots of contention, high data volumes
with very little tolerance to error or outages.

Cheers,
--
Saso