[OpenIndiana-discuss] HW sensors for OI?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Aug 26 09:01:30 UTC 2012

2012-08-26 3:51, Jason Matthews пишет:
> Wow you are ambitious. We don't even have a bmc driver.

I was afraid so... Recent talk of i2c (in connection to video devices)
sparked some memories ;)

BMC is imho a very different task, though with partially similar
results in terms of sensor querying - there is a lot more that
can be done with it; and when I last asked, there was a chance
of porting *BSD BMC drivers as a legal solution, or finding and
using driver binaries from older OpenSolaris as a questionable
one.

As far as porting goes, did anyone look into getting lm-sensors
integrated with illumos/openindiana/opensolaris in general?
Are there any substantial technological or licensing (SFE?)
problems with that route?

If we start from scratch anyway, I'd vouch for lm-sensors as
an aged field-tested technology well known to many admins who
ever saw linux, and which can be maintained up-to-date without
much of illumos folks' intervention ;)

On a similar related note, do we have anything similar to linux
virtual FSes (things they traditionally put in /proc and later
into /sys) for device driver queries and setting of configs, so
the sensors' character interfaces in particular can be queried
by scripts like text files (i.e. roughly "cat cpu-temp")?

> Today, you would have to get the values from ipmi over the network or
> through SMASH if you have it.

Yep, ambitious!
//Jim