[OpenIndiana-discuss] making dual monitor support persistent across reboots

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 00:31:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:
> The Xorg man page suggest I need a "xorg.conf" file in /etc or one of
> several other locations.

Yes, there are specific locations from where Xorg will read the file.

> The Nvidia X Server GUI appears to create one for me, using the "Save to
> X Configuration File" button under X Server Display Configuration.
> Unfortunately, generating this file then saving it as xorg.conf doesn't
> appear to be enough.

This file that was generated... did you put it in /etc (or one of the
named directories), or did it end up in your home folder (not one of
the locations Xorg looks)?

> Is there some special trick to get this working correctly?  This seems
> like it ought to be a pretty simple thing, at least it was with Xsun.

This misplacing of xorg.conf was the mistake I made and fixing it
solved my problem. You may have other issues, but let's tackle the
obvious one first.

The next step would be that Xorg probably reads the various xorg.confs
in a specific order, so the default one may be read before yours. Are
you able to look at X's log file to determine which one is actually
being used when X starts?

Jan