[OpenIndiana-discuss] LiveUSB and oi_151a5

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Aug 28 05:19:32 UTC 2012

Hello all,

   Did anyone test in practice the LiveUSB for oi_151a5 GUI image?
I'm trying to flash a 1Gb USB token from windows using the procedure
in OI wiki (with liveusb creator utility), and the resulting image
does not boot - only shows "GRUB _" and flashes the cursor.

   I tested MD5 sums - all is ok.

   Also imaged an oi_151a3 GUI USB - that works.

   I remember that "GRUB _" hang this may mean partitioning errors
and out-of-bounds reads, but the oi_151a3 image is in fact slightly
larger than oi_151a5. I also tried imaging to a USB HDD with the
same result. I think the usb image is broken or somehow incompatible
with the liveusb creator utility :(

   On an alternate note, are there any new device drivers included
in oi_151a5 that were not around for oi_151a3? I plan to test new
notebooks in a shop this week to pick one that would work with OI
(now looking toward Lenovo E335 or E330 supplied without an OS),
and would prefer minimal surprises regarding hardware support.
If all goes well, I'll become a lucky OI desktop user to see things
firsthand before answering list questions ;)

   How lacking is USB3 support? Would the ports not work at all,
or can they drop back to compatibility modes like USB1 or USB2?
Can they be passed through "as is" to a VM (VirtualBox, KVM) that
would have drivers to support them better? ;)

Thanks,
//Jim