[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sending our zpool offsite using encrypted USB HDDs

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:49:08 UTC 2012

On 08/28/12 06:42 AM, Julius Roberts wrote:
> Is there a better way to be doing this?  Ours seems a
> little resource intensive and I'm not sure if it's reliable for large >
> 500gb datasets.
lofiadm is used on Opensolaris so you can use it in Openindiana.

Would like to know what performance you are getting from lofi
as compared to other solutions mentioned.

UFS in the zvol container on ZFS:
https://blogs.oracle.com/darren/entry/opensolaris_disk_encryption_in_snv
ZFS in the zvol container on ZFS:
https://blogs.oracle.com/darren/en_GB/entry/encrypting_zfs_pools_using_lofi

Using file instead of zvol (I think Zvol is better instead):
http://forums.servethehome.com/showthread.php?592-Encryption-on-OpenIndiana-and-ZFS-V-28&s=c6905a51e4f62c0224e1afe0d3eb37c3

And why using block encryption:
http://constantin.glez.de/blog/2012/02/introducing-sparse-encrypted-zfs-pools

I imagine zfs send to such zpool inside lofi zvol will do it. (lofi does
not do compression I think).