[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sending our zpool offsite using encrypted USB HDDs

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 00:34:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Julius Roberts <hooliowobbits at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2012 21:37, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) <
> openindiana at nedharvey.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure when encryption was added to zfs, but you might have to get
>> solaris 11 from oracle.
>>

> As far as i know, OI was forked from open solaris before encryption was
> added to zfs, and clearly that code won't be released by Oracle now.

Yes, you are correct. It's likely that encryption will at some point
be developed for the OI fork, but you need a solution "now".

My personal opinion is that a variant on the way you described it in
your original mail is the best:
zfs send your_data | your_favourite_compression |
your_favourite_encryption > /usb_fs/backup.gz.gpg

I have a personal preference for gzip for compression and gpg for
encryption. A recent computer can "gzip -9" not much slower than a USB
can transfer the data. I don't have an easy way of benchmarking gpg vs
encrypt at the moment.

Jan