[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow performance of guests in virtualbox on OI?

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Tue Dec 4 16:42:53 UTC 2012

I bet that might help.  I get quite a bit of I/O stutter (at least that
is what I think it is) and I bet it is due to this.
With my applications I don't really care about it.

On 12/ 4/12 11:30 AM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> On 12/4/2012 11:10 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>>> From: Dan Swartzendruber [mailto:dswartz at druber.com]
>>>
>>> So I have an OI151a7 box.  Latest vbox is installed with several
>>> guests.
>> Make sure you have guest additions installed into each of the guests.
>> Make sure you don't give all the CPU's to any single guest.  In my
>> experience, I give each guest half the CPU's.  Then it load balances
>> pretty well...  If I have 8 cores and I'm running 4-8 guests, I give
>> them all 4 cores.  So I am overloading the CPU's, but as long as
>> they're not all assigned to a single guest, they seem to load balance
>> well.
>>
>> Virtualbox disk performance is poor if you're using vdi. (IMHO.)  So
>> instead, wrap a raw device (zvol) in vmdk file.  It works much better.
> All guests have guest additions.  Nothing special was done for CPU
> usage (default of 1 CPU).  I'm wondering about the vdi vs zvol. Let me
> give that a try...

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson