[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow performance of guests in virtualbox on OI?

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Dec 5 15:14:48 UTC 2012

> From: Dan Swartzendruber [mailto:dswartz at druber.com]
>
> All guests have guest additions.  Nothing special was done for CPU usage
> (default of 1 CPU).  I'm wondering about the vdi vs zvol.   Let me give
> that a try...

It wasn't really clear to me from the OP, what exactly is slow.  Is it disk access? CPU usage?

I think you're always better off, to assign multiple cores to the guests.  When you limit the guest to 1 CPU, you're just throttling the guest with no advantage.  If you give more than 1 cpu to each guest, as long as it's less than all the CPU's in the whole machine, you get better guest performance, and if there is demand for more CPU than your system can provide, it just load balances.  Which is probably what you want.

Make sure you've gone into BIOS and enabled every virtualization thing you see.  Sometimes there's one field for CPU virtualization enable, and another one for IO, and another one for trusted execution.  You can probably keep the trusted execution disabled if you don't know what that one is used for.