[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow performance of guests in virtualbox on OI?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Wed Dec 5 15:46:29 UTC 2012

To clarify: this was all kinda subjective.  To wit: remote desktop to a
windows guest.  Move the mouse around, click on start menu and/or
program icons, do various activities.  Under vbox/vdi, this was laggy
and 'jumpy'.  I tried the zvol trick and it was better but still not
great (and has the disadvantage of my needing to hack around on the
command line to create new guests and make sure the zvols are chowned
properly on reboot, etc...)  I know it's not perfect, but I also tried
running crystaldiskmark and got about 140MB/sec read with vbox/vdi and
about 200MB/sec vbox/zvol.  The main thing was: I can guarantee that if
the lag/jumpiness doesn't go away, this will be a non-starter with my
wife (I wasn't real happy either, to be honest...)  I shutdown the host
and pulled one of the mirrored disks in case I changed my mind.  I
reinstalled ESXi on the SSD and did a fresh win7 install on the exact
same data pool (only now, OI 151a7 is now the virtualized SAN/NAS like
originally with HBA passed in via vt-d).  Did same subjective
experiments and everything runs as smoothly as I remembered.  I like
hacking around on the command line as much as the next guy, but there
has to be a payoff for it, and the various experiments I have tried (kvm
on debian [aka proxmox], vbox on OI/vdi, vbox on OI/zvol) just haven't
met that criterion.  OTOH, I have nothing but praise for OI when it's
acting as a storage back-end...