[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tentative listing : Webcam experience with OI.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Dec 5 18:30:10 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-05 19:11, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Hi,
> for those of us who work with OI as a desktop.
> Suddenly today, I just noticed that I've been using my thinkpad running
> Debian in the past months just to chat with my colleagues and never thought
> that my webcam might work on the lab workstation running OI 151a7...
> But I works perfectly in Ekiga for resolutions  < 640x480, after there are
> some glitches which could be fixed :) Just enough to work :)
>
> So here is an attempt to list the working webcams:
>
> - Logitech Portable Webcam C905, Detected YES, Video YES up to 640x480,
> Sound YES
> - Logitech Quickcam V-UAM37, Detected YES, Video NO, Sound YES
>
> If this email gets replies, I would like to list the supported webcams on a
> wiki page.

I haven't heard of Ekiga yet, will give it a shot sometime.

So far my Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 335's "Integrated webcam" worked
"under OI" with VirtualBox via USB passthrough into a Windows VM -
the image seemed okay. This is a Vimicro (something) camera.

Can't say much about sound (not that it is directly related to the
camera - provided by separate Realtek hdaudio): my microphone did
not work in OI for me, some driver accesses to it even blocked and
hung the test processes. Sound playback is okay in quality, but
very quiet (good enough for headphones, bad for built-in speakers).

//Jim