[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow performance of guests in virtualbox on OI?

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 5 20:34:13 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-04 23:08, dswartz at druber.com wrote:

>> I have experienced performance issues with VirtualBox 4.x too and
>> downgraded to 3.2.14. Perhaps you could give 3.2.14 a try and see how it
>> works out.
> Can you elaborate?
I'm not sure how to elaborate. I've always been kind of conservative
when it comes to upgrading software following the old adage; "If it
works, don't fix it".

After I did a reinstall of my OpenIndiana system I finally decided to
try out VirtualBox 4. I noticed that the VMs weren't running as smoothly
as I was used to. I don't remember specifics such as network
performance, as a whole the user-experience was simply not as good as it
used to.

So I uninstalled VirtualBox 4 and reinstalled Virtualbox 3.2.14 and
things went pretty much back to normal (except for the USB driver which
I fixed and the nwam/vboxflt driver conflict which seems to be fixed now
since 151a5). The decision to switch back was quick and I never
reflected upon any details as to why I made that decision.