[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow performance of guests in virtualbox on OI?

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Thu Dec 6 14:48:16 UTC 2012

> From: Robin Axelsson [mailto:gu99roax at student.chalmers.se]
>
> After I did a reinstall of my OpenIndiana system I finally decided to
> try out VirtualBox 4. I noticed that the VMs weren't running as smoothly
> as I was used to. I don't remember specifics such as network
> performance, as a whole the user-experience was simply not as good as it
> used to.
>
> So I uninstalled VirtualBox 4 and reinstalled Virtualbox 3.2.14 and
> things went pretty much back to normal (except for the USB driver which
> I fixed and the nwam/vboxflt driver conflict which seems to be fixed now
> since 151a5). The decision to switch back was quick and I never
> reflected upon any details as to why I made that decision.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I'm currently running VBox 4.1.x on OI, and I'm thrilled with it.  I have not yet upgraded to 4.2, which was a new major release.  So ... Perhaps maybe there's some performance bug in 4.2?

When you upgraded to 4, how long ago was it?  Do you remember 4-point-what?