[OpenIndiana-discuss] Joining an Active Directory Domain with smbadm

Peter Tripp peter at psych.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 5 21:36:35 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I've been trying to join an active directory domain for use with the kernel mode CIFS server, but am running into some trouble.  Specifically when I run:
# smbadm join -u administrator my.domain.edu.
here's what I get:
failed to find any domain controllers for MY.DOMAIN.EDU

Here's output form dmesg
Dec  5 15:55:07 duchamp smbd[970]: [ID 807464 daemon.error] ndr_rpc_bind: smbrdr_ctx_new(S=myadc, D=MY.DOMAIN.EDU, U=administrator), err=61
Dec  5 15:55:07 duchamp last message repeated 3 times
Dec  5 15:55:07 duchamp smbd[970]: [ID 700049 daemon.error] smbd: failed locating domain controller for MY.DOMAIN.EDU

I've already gotten Kerberos, LDAP and idmapping working with AD and configured PAM such that ssh logins work, but this one has me stumped.  I've seen plenty of other folks with similar errors, but none with 'err=61'.  For reference I'm running Windows 2008r2, my domain is currently set to the 2003 compatibility mode.

Following the instructions here:
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/CIFS+Service+Troubleshooting
I have left my lmauth_level at the default (4) and have not modified it with: sharectl set -p lmauth_level=X smb

Anyone have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this further? How can I enable debug logging for smbadm?

Thanks
-Peter