[OpenIndiana-discuss] Joining an Active Directory Domain with smbadm

Lucas Van Tol catseyev9 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:08:04 UTC 2012

I think I've seen that one before.  I can't quite recall if it was the OI system doing some bad DNS requests, or just due to multi-domain/multi-domain-controller environment not being friendly.

A simple fix MAY be:
Ensure DNS is working correctly, and set the primary AD domain controller as your only nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf ; and match your date to it via 'ntpdate -u *primary domain server*'.

I ended up setting up a small DNS server with only entries for one domain controller, along with entries for some incorrect lookups I saw fairly frequently. (Along the lines of
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MY.DOMAIN.EDU.MY.DOMAIN.EDU ; note the domain showing up twice in a row...)
Those systems work fine with standard DNS once they are joined.

-Lucas Van Tol