[OpenIndiana-discuss] Long User Names for Email Advice

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Dec 11 03:35:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-11 01:54, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thank you very much for your feedback.  I really appreciate it.
>
> Are there any particular tests that you think I should run, just to make sure that I'm not likely to run into corrupted emails three or four months down the road, well after I've implemented OI?
>
> I figured I'd test it with sending, replying to, etc. emails of various different scenarios, just to be on the safe side.  But if you think I should test anything in particular, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Is an alternate solution possible for you: use an LDAP catalog
with email data for users (as well as POSIX data for UNIX accounts)?

This way you can have short "uid" values and arbitrarily long
mail, mailEquivalentAddress or mailAlternateAddress properties.
One of these may be "uid at domain.com" to avoid ambiguity, but
is not required to be.

There are a number of tutorials about making the Solaris operating
environment a client of LDAP (Sun DSEE, OpenDJ, OpenLDAP, etc.);
however, the mail subsystem will require its own integration for
mail routing to the mailbox server ("mailHost"), alias address
processing, etc. It is well documented for Sendmail in the internet,
I am not sure about uw-imap. Don't think it should have problems...

Also note that you'd want to avoid a deadlock (rather, a needless
startup delay) by making an operating environment (global or local
zone) which hosts the LDAP service a UNIX-client of this service.
If you must do that, make the LDAP server start up before the SMF
service ldap/client. I'd just put different tasks in local zones,
LDAP server into one, mail into another, global zone as hypervisor
with no end-users (except admins) and no LDAP client.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov