[OpenIndiana-discuss] Long User Names for Email Advice

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 03:04:57 UTC 2012

Yikes!  I think this is a little beyond my abilities.  I'm a lot more of a programmer than a system admin.

I think a more reasonable approach for me would be that if I run into problems with the long user names using uw-imap, to just use Cyrus-Imap instead.  It doesn't require system user accounts.  I didn't like it as well as uw-imap when I tried it for a while on Linux several years ago.  It's a lot harder to administer and it's not nearly as "mobile" as uw-imap.  By "mobile", I mean that with uw-imap, it's a lot easier to move people's mail from one server to another, and to restore inadvertently deleted mailbox folders, etc.

I appreciate the suggestion, though.  I really do.

I'm an Orthodox Christian priest-monk, and for what it's worth, I pray for all of you OI developers.  I greatly appreciate all of the hard work you are putting into making OI a viable and freely available Solaris-based operating system.  And I know my God has most certainly helped me on several occasions to get our OI server I've been working on these past few weeks to get it to the point where it's almost ready to put online.  I don't think that with as much help as He's given me with this, that he'll abandon the OI Project, or you all, from His care.

Thank you again.

Peter, hieromonk