[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding pools after reinstall

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Sat Dec 22 20:17:32 UTC 2012

> From: Doug Hughes [mailto:doug at will.to]
>
> That isn't necessarily a driver. What model hba do you have? If it is among
> many versions of megaraid or similar, you won't see any disks until you
> create logical units from the raid card bios interface.

OOohhh...   Be *very* careful though.  It is *very* easy to destroy the contents of a disk while doing that.  If the HBA doesn't already recognize the drive groups, I would suggest first trying "Import" or whatever it's called in your HBA.  Try to get the HBA to discover its config from the disks, non-destructively.  If that idea isn't working out, then re-creating the previous config is indeed possible, and indeed necessary, but you can't make any mistakes (must choose the same disks to be in the same raid groups with the same settings as previously) and definitely don't initialize.

I know this in-depth because one of the servers I formerly admin'd used removable disks for backups, and they were controlled by a PERC (LSI).  The only way to do it was to create a single-disk raid group for each disk, so I had to paste the same command to create a new volume every time.