[OpenIndiana-discuss] dualboot

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Dec 22 23:03:55 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-22 23:29, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> Run various operating systems in virtual machines.
>
> It would appear from the other post that the  hostility of the various installers is not as extreme as it was.  Detailed instructions on the wiki woul be really nice.

To an extent. OI GRUB doesn't read Linux LVM for example,
so if you dual-boot Linux - its partition must be an ext*
one. Chaining Windows is no problem, except that it tries
to set its own first bootloader instead of GRUB.

With Win being more aggressive in this regard, it might be
more simple to tame ntbootldr and have it chainload GRUB
which would be installed in a Solaris partition...

My dualboot loads from Solaris GRUB; VBox also lets load
other OSes from raw partitions, so I can access them when
native reboot is not required but some data or programs
are needed in the currently loaded "native" host OS.

HTH,
//Jim