[OpenIndiana-discuss] dualboot

Marc Williams marc_sol at digisensei.info
Sat Dec 22 23:11:15 UTC 2012

On 12/22/12 11:52 AM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> My advice is don't.  Do one of the following:
>
> Use a USB disk and use the BIOS to boot from that.  You'll need to always plug the disk into the same USB port, but otherwise it's quite painless.  I do this w/ my Solaris laptop when I want to boot Linux.
>
> Use removable drive caddies and a socket.  This is what I do on all my desktop systems.
>
> Install a VM hypervisor, e.g. VirtualBox.
>

> 10+ years ago I made a system boot FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris.  It took over a dozen install attempts.  After that I switched to drive caddies.
>
> Have Fun!
> Reg

Because all of my machines are old school (not up to virtualization) I
multiboot but the current machine is new but I was slow to adopt VMs
so it also multiboots (though I do now use VirtualBox as of late).
I've been using Terabyte's BootIt Bare Metal (before that BootIt NG) to
handle drives/partitions and booting so for the most part the OSes
haven't stepped on each other's toes.

This machine boots Windows XP x64, OpenIndiana, Debian Squeeze, and
Windows 7.

Regarding the caddies, that was definitely the way to go for me, too.
When I had an Athlon XP system I came across a Linux HOWTO on
multibooting with caddies and that worked out great.
The internal drive was Slackware while the caddies housed Win98
(later XP), FreeBSD, Solaris 8, and something else I can't remember.
Still have the machine but it's in storage at the moment.
IMNSHO the caddy way was the safest way.
I don't know why I didn't think about doing that with the new machine.

--
==ANIME SENSHI==
Marc D. Williams