[OpenIndiana-discuss] auto-scrub and its result

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Dec 28 19:32:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012, Brogyányi József wrote:

> Hi
> Yesterday I've issued the scrub command by manual. The results are the next:
> "scrub repaired 2.50K in 0h9m with 0 errors" this was on the rpool ssd and (
> The SSD is a brand new Samsung equipment)
> "scrub repaired 9K in 2h12m with 0 errors" this was on the disks.
> My question is it good result or I have to worried for my datas?The scrub was
> after a week on line working.

Whether this is cause for concern depends on how the system was used.
If the system was power cycled without a clean shutdown, then these
small repairs may be expected from an SSD (or perhaps worse).  If it
was running continuously, or cleanly shut down each time, then there
is cause for concern.

SSDs might not commit the data when requested, or in reasonable order,
or they may even re-write already committed data, so they are an
additional risk factor compared with traditional disk drives if there
is a power failure.

> Another question is in this topic about auto scrub.  I've found a script on
> this link:ftp://ftp.scn.rain.com/pub/solaris/zpadmin.txt
> Are you know a better or simpler script what do you use in every day?Of
> course free version is interested in.

On my own system, I just put the scrub command in the root crontab:

# Scrub the root pool for errors at 3:20 AM every Monday
20 3 * * 1 /usr/sbin/zpool scrub rpool

This does not provide any summary of results though.  You would need
to query results later (via 'zpool status rpool').

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn