[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot failure - degraded boot pool

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 01:14:21 UTC 2012

Well the machine is back up and running.

It seems that one of the drives was in a faulted state - probably a separate issue from the power outage. But that drive was configured by the bios to be the boot drive, and the system refused to boot off a faulted drive. Instantly restarted, repeat.

So a few things seem less than desirable:

* Live DVD not able to boot correctly because of an existing pool in a faulted state - resulting in no useful tools for diagnostics.

* If the system drive is mirrored, and the drive which is configured by BIOS to boot from is a faulted drive, is there any way for the system to get back up and running without a person at the console to change the BIOS setting?

This particular machine is my home backup server, so I'm not too worried about it. But if I'm going to roll out a machine in a data centre or remote office this could be a real problem.

Thoughts?

Matt.