[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot failure - degraded boot pool

Mark Creamer whitetr6 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 02:49:28 UTC 2012

If you have a mirrored set for your OS (rpool) you can configure it so the
failure of either one of those two drives will cause the system to boot
automatically from the other. Google mirrored rpool. I think I found my
instructions on Constantin Gonzales' site IIRC

On Friday, February 10, 2012, Matt Connolly <matt.connolly.au at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Well the machine is back up and running.
>
> It seems that one of the drives was in a faulted state - probably a
separate issue from the power outage. But that drive was configured by the
bios to be the boot drive, and the system refused to boot off a faulted
drive. Instantly restarted, repeat.

> So a few things seem less than desirable:
>
> * Live DVD not able to boot correctly because of an existing pool in a
faulted state - resulting in no useful tools for diagnostics.

> * If the system drive is mirrored, and the drive which is configured by
BIOS to boot from is a faulted drive, is there any way for the system to
get back up and running without a person at the console to change the BIOS
setting?

> This particular machine is my home backup server, so I'm not too worried
about it. But if I'm going to roll out a machine in a data centre or remote
office this could be a real problem.

> Thoughts?
>
> Matt.
>

> On 10/02/2012, at 12:23 PM, Gordon Ross wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Matt Connolly
>> <matt.connolly.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I had a power outage at my house recently and my OpenIndiana backup
server has failed to reboot.
>> [...]
>>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to do more diagnostics / repairs??
>>
>> You might try:
>>  zpool import -F $pool

Mark