[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic with Intel i7-2670QM CPU (HP EliteBook 8560w)

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Mon Feb 13 17:39:08 UTC 2012

>> From: "Geoff Simmons" <geoff at uplex.de>
>
> A colleague attempted to boot oi_151a from CD on an HP EliteBook 8560w
> laptop:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171.html
>
> ... the variant with Intel i7-2670QM. He got an immediate kernel panic

I've now booted (from an oi151a CD) with the kernel debugger switched on
and was able to get a stack trace  -- the crash apparently happens in a
call to wrmsr() within speedstep_pstate_transition(), caused by an event
related to power management (cpupm).

Since I have no way of saving the stack trace, I had to take a picture
of it. In the hopes that attaching photos is not a netiquette violation
on this list, I'll try to send it along with this message (it's a B/W
PNG with about 23KB, so it shouldn't eat too much bandwidth -- my
apologies if this was a no-no).

As it happens, it appears to be exactly the same stack trace that I see
when trying to boot Solaris 11 on the same machine (using the kernel
debugger).

So it would appear that the problem has something to do with power
management, and might be related to some known bugs concerning cpupm:

https://www.illumos.org/issues/423
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1333

But the solutions/workarounds involve editing /etc/power.conf. I'm
trying to get OI to boot up in the first place, and I couldn't edit a
file on CD anyway. What I want to do is install OI, so I'll need to be
able to boot an installer before I can get to fixing up the installed
configuration.

Any ideas? Does this warrant filing a new issue at illumos.org?

Thanks,
Geoff
--
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Schwanenwik 24
22087 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917