[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi_151a update?

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Wed Feb 15 15:19:10 UTC 2012

I have found it is specific to the machine... when hitting my solaris
server it is was always fast, when hitting my other openindiana server
it was slow slow slow.  I will keep an eye on it but for the moment it
is quick.

On 02/15/12 10:11 AM, Gary Gendel wrote:
> On 2/15/12 10:03 AM, Daniel Kjar wrote:
>> successfully updated as well.  Fonts do seem much sharper.  Very
>> nice.  Still have this funkiness where if I reboot (even without an
>> update) the system kernel panics right before or as X is loading,
>> system restarts and then boots up fine.  I suspect hardware issues
>> though.  Strangely enough ssh handshake with my other servers seems
>> much faster now so something seems to be working better in the guts
>> as well.  This is a very crusty install (originally opensolaris and
>> updated repeatedly a very early version of that as well) so I am
>> never surprised at wackiness.
>>

>> Thanks for every ones hard work on this.  Excellent job.  My main
>> server will be moving to OI from Solaris this summer.
>>
> My ssh handshake was also much faster initially, but it didn't keep.
> It's a strange situation where sometimes I get the login prompt
> immediately, and sometimes it takes several seconds.  It's acting like
> sometimes it gets held on network timeout and sometimes there is
> none.  I thought it might have been due to DNS lookups but I shut the
> ssh name resolution checks down in the configuration without a
> difference.  It's frustrating since every time I think I've resolved
> it it's only behaving nice for a short while.
>
> Gary

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson