[OpenIndiana-discuss] strange reboot behavior: deadman timeout

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 06:47:23 UTC 2012

All,

Really stumped on this one: even after recent updates, we are unable to do a smooth software reboot; see a deadman timeout and CPU panic, followed by a core dump. Immediately thereafter, the machine _does_ reboot itself. Hmmm....

The machine has recently been upgraded to prestable-a1; prestable_a2 is next. Prestable seems to have addressed the interrupt storm issue on this SandyBridge machine; vmstat 5 interrupt counts have dropped to < 1k from 7+ _million_. So far, so good. But now we can't get past the reboot issue.

There may still be a timing issue after all - we are able to take the machine down occasionally with parallel gcc builds. Anyone have any suggestions/inputs on this?

Regards,

Lou Picciano