[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?

Jan Kesten jan at dafuer.de
Wed Jan 4 10:57:24 UTC 2012

Hello,

from my personal experience I would recommend you Dell hardware. I have
some old aged PE2900 running with 10 discs, and some newer R515 which
have an option to fit 12 x 3.5'' drives as hot-plug and 2 x 2,5'' drives
as internal discs. I use the internal discs for the operating system and
the 12 drives as storage with zfs (but with an internal raid controller
which come from LSI at dell and work out of the box now - there were
some issues earylier).

With those together with 12 x 3TB drives you can have up to 36 TB raw
capacity in 2RU with no os on the data drives - which can come quite
handy if you need to exchange them to another machine. Only point is to
have a look at the controllers, the cheaper ones do not allow to have
many volumes (if I remember right, the H700 do). Only flaw was that
drives from dell are really expensive - and only come with a one year
warranty - so I took the cheapest ones (your customer contact can affix
the price - so phone her/him) and replaced them with "normal" drives
loosing my warranty for the drives from dell (haha).

Just as a hint :-)

Cheers,
Jan