[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?

Svavar Örn Eysteinsson svavar at fiton.is
Wed Jan 4 14:27:54 UTC 2012

Thanks for your reply and time everyone.

The only reason I asked about HP is that I have good support trough HP
reseller here in
Iceland. IBM has also a good reseller here too. DELL, not so good and
Oracle from the
same reseller is hell here in Iceland.

I also have pretty good reseller for SuperMicro that I have bought many
times before.
I actually have 5 Supermicro servers in production here, and they are
damn good.

The actual question about HP, and or some other vender was regarding
say, if a HD disk
would fail, controller and or motherboard, I have a pretty good
connection(and support) regarding replace'ing them
after few hours. So hardware support would be great, and hardware
compatibility. Software support is not
what I'm actually looking for.

I'm aware of the RAM regarding ZFS so I would buy RAM heavy server

A closed software solution is not my type of thing.
Firstly, they cost huge money regarding our currency.
Secondly, I have no access (like for Nexenta) into the core of the
operating system.
I have had great success with OpenIndiana and Napp-IT and using linux in
our environment.
Thirdly, We do have some limited budget. Time will tell how much, as our
currency rocks
like a bad jojo. :s

I think a good solution would be :

* 1U/2U Server with large RAM, good XEON's and correct SAS controllers
* Large external storage chassis connected with SAS (6Gbit right ?)

Any recommandations on external chassis ? Supermicro ?

Thanks allot people.

Best regards,

Svavar - Reykjavik - Iceland