[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Wed Jan 4 15:09:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 15:27, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <svavar at fiton.is> wrote:
> I think a good solution would be :
>
> * 1U/2U Server with large RAM, good XEON's and correct SAS controllers
> * Large external storage chassis connected with SAS (6Gbit right ?)
>

> Any recommandations on external chassis ? Supermicro ?

We have a LSI 630J JBOD Enclosure which supports 12 x 3.5" drives,
connected through SAS which works fine for what I have tested on it
for now. LSI have however sold their SAS JBOD product line to DataON
Storage, so you will have to look at them in order to find the
DNS-1630 JBOD as it's called now.
http://dataonstorage.com/

I don't know how easy it is for you to get hardware from DataON
Storage for you, or what price it will be, but I just thought I would
mention it. They also make other JBODs with 24 or 60 x 3.5" drives and
one with 24 x 2.5" drives, depending on your needs.

I haven't tried Supermicro's JBODs, but do they not only have the
SuperSBB JBOD: SYS-937R-E2JB as the only true JBOD on their product
program?

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)