[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 15:54:27 UTC 2012

On 4 Jan 2012, at 15:09, Jeppe Toustrup wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 15:27, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <svavar at fiton.is> wrote:
>> I think a good solution would be :
>>
>> * 1U/2U Server with large RAM, good XEON's and correct SAS controllers
>> * Large external storage chassis connected with SAS (6Gbit right ?)
>>

>> Any recommandations on external chassis ? Supermicro ?
>
> We have a LSI 630J JBOD Enclosure which supports 12 x 3.5" drives,
> connected through SAS which works fine for what I have tested on it
> for now. LSI have however sold their SAS JBOD product line to DataON
> Storage, so you will have to look at them in order to find the
> DNS-1630 JBOD as it's called now.
> http://dataonstorage.com/
>
> I don't know how easy it is for you to get hardware from DataON
> Storage for you, or what price it will be, but I just thought I would
> mention it. They also make other JBODs with 24 or 60 x 3.5" drives and
> one with 24 x 2.5" drives, depending on your needs.

HP make JBODs that work nicely too (D2600 for 3.5" disks and D2700 for 2.5" disks) - so that might work well for Svavar.

The only thing I haven't worked out with ours is how to map from the device name (WWN) to the physical slot. Someone on the ZFS list has IIRC. Support for this kind of third-party kit would be a great thing for OI to add IMO.

Chris