[OpenIndiana-discuss] Oracle Solaris on x86 going to be killed?

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Fri Jan 6 19:50:30 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 07:22 AM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> I heard rumors of Oracle going to dismiss the intel version of Solaris...
> Is this true?!

They did say they'd get rid of the 32-bit versions of Solaris, so that's
probably what you're referring to, as well as remove support for older
SPARCs, which they've already done.  Now I have to wait until some of
the T-2000's and 1000's drop in price and are affordable as the newest
SPARC machine I own won't run Solaris 11.

Besides, even if they actually kill off the 64 bit versions, source code
is available via OpenIndiana and the old OpenSolaris versions, so it
doesn't change anything, OI will still exist.

I just hope they release of the current Solaris 11 source code
officially, so that IllumOS and OI can incorporate those changes.