[OpenIndiana-discuss] User management tools for OI_151a?

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Mon Jan 16 08:26:06 UTC 2012

Just to be clearer:

I need a web based or otherwise remote management tool.

There should be a "ordinary user personal management part" and a system
administrator part, and the latter should ideally be configurable for
different admin roles.

usermin combined with webmin 1.51 from the openindiana repository mostly
fit the bill.

A few problems exist, however:

I can't get webmin to use utf-8. Can anyone suggest a solution?
I found this because the gnome user and group manager applet backend
script failed with "improper UTF-8" after adding a user with a swedish
full name.

I can see no well-structured way to configure roles, or even harden the
interface against catastrophic mistakes.
Again: can anyone suggest a way to run several roles in parallell, maybe
a way to enable different combinations of modules for different admin users.
Or maybe you can suggest a different approach to the problem?

The webmin home page does supply a solaris package, but that is no
better for utf-8, it seems, and has a few oddities and quirks that make
for an uncomfortable experience.