[OpenIndiana-discuss] User management tools for OI_151a?

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:03:59 UTC 2012

Hi I'm new.

Napp-it: www.napp-it.org

Offers most of what you're looking for and is clear enough that us
'Microsoft people' can figure out what to do without breaking things. It's
obviously not as powerful as access via shell, but it does make creating
automatic snapshot jobs much more simple.

ZFS share config and overall usage is there, and clear. Not sure if you can
create arrays, as I have no spare disks with which to test, but pool
creation and basic management is present. It also saved me a bunch of time
after a motherboard died and I had to rebuild my fileserver. Installing and
configuring netatalk with it was a lot quicker than doing it the manual
way, and got everything working just the same.

It's by no means as full featured as webmin, but it can do about 75% of the
stuff I've wanted it to do.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 03:49, Hans J. Albertsson <
hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se> wrote:

> And please just ignore my raving and ranting below.
>
> In the clear light of a fresh and crispy morning it all fell into place,
> and I now know how to set up individual admin access rights, set up to use
> UTF-8, edit headers, labels, info messages and so on and so forth.
> One shouldn't keep at it after one's eyes start to bleed...
> It IS a reasonable tool for a group of people of varying degrees of
> computer awareness remotely managing a set of servers.
>
> Now for an intelligent Q:Is there anything like a webmin zfs management
> module somewhere?
> Something that could handle shares, set up new raids, and do accurate
> space usage and snapshot reports.
>

> On 2012-01-17 03:19, openindiana-discuss-request@**openindiana.org<openindiana-discuss-request at openindiana.org>wrote:
>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:26:06 +0100
>> From: "Hans J. Albertsson"<hans.j.albertsson@**branneriet.se<hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se>
>> >
>> To:openindiana-discuss@**openindiana.org<To%3Aopenindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
>> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] User management tools for OI_151a?

>> Just to be clearer:
>>
>> I need a web based or otherwise remote management tool.
>>
>> There should be a "ordinary user personal management part" and a system
>> administrator part, and the latter should ideally be configurable for
>> different admin roles.
>>
>> usermin combined with webmin 1.51 from the openindiana repository mostly
>> fit the bill.
>>
>> A few problems exist, however:
>>
>> I can't get webmin to use utf-8. Can anyone suggest a solution?
>> I found this because the gnome user and group manager applet backend
>> script failed with "improper UTF-8" after adding a user with a swedish
>> full name.
>>
>> I can see no well-structured way to configure roles, or even harden the
>> interface against catastrophic mistakes.
>> Again: can anyone suggest a way to run several roles in parallell, maybe
>> a way to enable different combinations of modules for different admin
>> users.
>> Or maybe you can suggest a different approach to the problem?
>>

>> The webmin home page does supply a solaris package, but that is no
>> better for utf-8, it seems, and has a few oddities and quirks that make
>> for an uncomfortable experience.

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.eff.org/
<http://www.eff.org/>http://creativecommons.org/