[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI friendly external drive

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Wed Jan 18 19:38:59 UTC 2012

I have a 4 disk external box with both sata2 and usb.  When attached by
usb the whole thing dropped after a little while, sata2 works perfectly
fine (except my sata card will only see one disk ).  So I know it is not
the drive but the USB that causes the drop.  this is with a 2 tb seagate

On 01/18/12 01:56 PM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> FWIW  I've been using a 320 GB Maxtor USB disk to sneaker net data from OI to Solaris 10 for 5-6 months w/o any problems.  It works fine connected  for long periods to either system.  If the drive goes to sleep it takes a moment to get a response, but no actual problems.
>
> I did run into problems on 10 w/ a 1.5 TB Seagate USB drive which the system simply refused to recognize even existed.  I wound up using it to archive a Windows system, so I've never tried it w/ OI.
>
> Reg

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson