[OpenIndiana-discuss] Diskless Boot + root fs on Ramdisk

steve at linuxsuite.org steve at linuxsuite.org
Thu Jan 19 19:49:39 UTC 2012

Howdy!

        I'm a solaris noob...

       I want to net boot diskless clients with a RAMDISK on /.

       I have pxegrub served by dhcp to the PXE client and have

   the following for menu.lst

default=0
timeout=30
#min_mem64 1024
title OpenSolaris Ramdisk
kernel$ /solaris/platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix -m verbose -B
module$ /solaris/root.img

   logs on the server show both ../unix and root.img are sent by
the server.

     I get grub boot menu. The image appears to load (ie dots scroll
across the screen)
and the OpenIndiana license appears, but hangs and there is no more output..

    I was inspired by this

http://mperedim.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/solaris-diskless-ramdisk-boot/

    I did the following

     1) Install onto regular local disk, disable nwam service,
enable/configure for
         oldstyle network
     2) find / |cpio -pd /image
     3) chroot /image - remove X11 packages
     4) edit /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc remove "bootpath"
     5) bootadm  update-archive -R /image
     6) root_archive pack root.img /image
     7) copy root.img and /image/platform/ to /tftpboot/solaris/ on the
dhcp/tftp server
     8) reboot and configure for PXE netboot

     I guess I missed something? What else do I need to do?
Do I need to edit /etc/system or /etc/vfstab or /lib/svc/method/??

    thanx - steve