[OpenIndiana-discuss] Suitable Dev box to replace Ultra 80

Peter Firmstone jini at zeus.net.au
Sun Jan 22 05:16:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've got a Grandfathers Axe, Ultra 80, 4 CPU, 4GB Ram, 4 x 2.5" SAS
Drives, 2 x 3.5" SCSI, 2x XVR-1000's and dual 24" LCD Monitors.  I had
been waiting for Sun to release a new sparc workstation, but it never
happened.

Its a Java dev box, all round work computer (with sunray clients), has a
zone with a web server, online since 2005.

I recently noticed that JDK1.7 isn't supported on my release of Solaris
10, I'm guessing it isn't on Openindiana either ;), but better to have
community support than nothing at all!

I also participate in the Apache River project, once I replace this
workstation, our software will no longer be tested on Solaris Sparc, so
support for that OS / Hardware combo will be dropped.

What's the best (Rock solid) CPU / Motherboard / ECC Ram / Hardware to
run Openindiana with?  Can Openindiana server thin clients eg ltsp?

Where do you order Openindiania DVD's?

Thanks,

Peter.