[OpenIndiana-discuss] Suitable Dev box to replace Ultra 80

Peter Firmstone jini at zeus.net.au
Tue Jan 24 01:04:52 UTC 2012

I've used Sparc since the 90's, in my undergrad university days, I used
to log in remotely to the University network, using a Sparc Classic, I
never suffered the consequences of MS Word documents becoming corrupted,
or the other PC reliability issues and had the benefit of additional
account privileges (unofficially) like untimed internet access, only
because the sysadmin used sparc and all the important infrastructure at
the Uni was sparc or Unix based.

I'm somewhat afraid of using Intel hardware, especially on the internet,
due to the bios and network hardware security issues that OS's can't
prevent.

OpenBoot is far more powerful than typical x86 bios.

It would be nice to have a Niagara dev box, for multi threading
development.

How portable is Openindiana, from what I can tell it's intel only?

How easy is Openindiana to build, do you think there would be enough
interest in a sparc port?

Or perhaps an ARM64 port?  Arm seems to have much greater economy of
scale and could displace x86 the same way x86 displaced the big Unix
vendors (well actually it was more like top brass knee jerk reactions,
like Alpha's untimely and premature death).  Unlike Intel, anyone can
license arm (or sparc for that matter, but ARM has the numbers).

If Openindiana was to support ARM64 some time in future, now would be
the time to start, while hardware vendors are looking to enter new markets.

Cheers,

Peter.