[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS performance issues

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Fri Jan 27 13:37:37 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-26 14:05, James Carlson wrote:
> Open Indiana wrote:
>> Please skip the whole ifconfig and plumb this or that discussion.
>>
>> Virtualbox works on any interface that is "plumbed" since only then the
>> interface is visible in the menu.
> Oh, yuck.  It should be using the libdlpi interfaces (see
> dlpi_walk(3DLPI)), at least on OpenIndiana.
>
> If portability to older Solaris systems is necessary, it should be
> enumerating DLPI interfaces using libdevinfo.
>
> Piggybacking on IP isn't right at all.

Note that VirtualBox offers several types of virtualized networking
modes. In NAT mode where it communicates with the IP stack of the host
maybe this makes sense whereas it doesn't in bridged mode.

If VirtualBox and OpenIndiana did what they promised without hickups I
wouldn't even need two network interfaces to ensure the operation of the
system. But when bugs occur we try to get around them until they are
fixed, and that requires at least some knowledge about the system which
I'm really happy to have acquired.

I can even see on the activity LEDs on the switch that the VMs' network
is independent of the hosts network.