[OpenIndiana-discuss] experimental or otherwise not recommended options for ZFS

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 03:48:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm building a home NAS so I don't care too much about performance,
but *do* care if I lose all my photos. I'm aware that ZFS had a very
extensive test suite that ensured that data is kept safe.

Are the newer capabilities (specifically checksum=sha256,
compression=on, dedup=verify) thoroughly tested and guaranteed to keep
my data safe? Are any of the above options considered experimental or
otherwise not recommended if one cares about data integrity? The
documentation I encounter enumerates or explains the options without
going into detail about stability or reliability.

Thanks,
Jan