[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI and chassis/jbod support?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Tue Jul 3 03:30:00 UTC 2012

On Jul 2, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Rich wrote:

> Hm, we appear to have been discussing a different problem, which is fascinating.
>
> I have a number of devices which are in the Supermicro SC846A-R1200
> chassis - which has no expanders, just 6 SFF-8087 ports on it, running
> into LSI 9201-16i controllers.
>
> Fascinatingly, attempting to issue a sas2ircu [card] locate A:B on
> reports success, but no LEDs blinked at all. I also see no SES devices
> to speak of, though the device purports to support SES-2 management.

IIRC, the chassis locator LEDs are driven from the mobo option, not from
the SAS backplane. It wouldn't surprise me if the locator was not wired, or
wired to an internal LED, depending on the exact model.

NB, Supermicro gear is very flexible and many options can be [re]wired by hand
and thus can be inconsistently configured in the field. It is a good habit to
verify disk serial numbers to slot maps as you install disks.
 -- richard

--
ZFS Performance and Training
Richard.Elling at RichardElling.com