[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool upgrade in OI151a5?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Thu Jul 5 01:29:14 UTC 2012

So I did the pkg image-update to go to 151a5.  I grabbed off a copy of the
root pool first. Boot and activated and all seemed well.  I happened to do
'zpool status' and saw these:

root at openindiana:~# zpool status

  pool: rpool1

 state: ONLINE

status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can

        still be used, but some features are unavailable.

action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the

        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.

  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 0 errors on Wed Jul  4 17:08:43 2012

config:

        NAME                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM

        rpool1                     ONLINE       0     0     0

          c2t50014EE2AEDF73CEd0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: tank

 state: ONLINE

status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can

        still be used, but some features are unavailable.

action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the

        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.

  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 2h17m with 0 errors on Wed Jul  4 14:34:45 2012

config:

        NAME                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM

        tank                       ONLINE       0     0     0

          mirror-0                 ONLINE       0     0     0

            c2t5000C50041AB0C47d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

            c2t5000C50041BD3E87d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

          mirror-1                 ONLINE       0     0     0

            c2t50014EE206CED4ECd0  ONLINE       0     0     0

            c2t50014EE25C240034d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

          mirror-2                 ONLINE       0     0     0

            c2t50014EE204411A53d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

            c2t50014EE2AEDF7498d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

        cache

          c2t500A0751033D0AA2d0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I updated rpool first, and was dismayed to see the following:

Successfully upgraded 'rpool1' from version 28 to version 5000

Say what?  I then did 'zpool get version rpool1' and get:

root at openindiana:~# zpool get version

NAME    PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE

rpool1  version   -        default

tank    version   28       local

So tank still explicitly lists the pool version as 28, but the root pool is
showing '-'?  Should I fall back to my backup pool image?  Any ideas what
the **** happened?