[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS & SMART error

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 17:13:45 UTC 2012

I had a power failure last night.  The UPS alarms woke me up and I powered down the systems. (some day I really will automate shutdowns)  It's also been quite hot (90 F) in the room where the computer is.

At boot the BIOS on the HP Z400 running Solaris 10 reported:

1720 SMART drive detects imminent failure
failing drive SATA 1 (black)
failing attribute # 05

The drive is a year old 3 TB Hitachi that I use for a scratch drive.  "zpool scrub" showed no errors.

Nothing critical on the disk I just use it to hold intermediate files when working on large datasets.

Unfortunately, "apropos smart" produced nothing useful.  Where would I find more information?  Particularly interaction between ZFS & SMART.

There have apparently been some firmware issues that produce spurious warnings, but HP is so Windows centric it's hard to make any sense out of their support site.

Is there a Solaris/OI utility for reading the SMART information or doing other diagnosis?

The message relates to automatic bad block reallocation.  Would running a scan using format(1m) and mapping out the bad blocks be likely to correct this?  That is what we did way back when.  Though I hate to think how long a scan of 3 TB would take.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Reg