[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS & SMART error

Bryan Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:55:03 UTC 2012

Personally, I would use smartctl.

Do a "which smartctl" to see if you have it installed, otherwise it's in
the OI SFE package smartmontools.

First get a usage summary using "smartctl -h", then you might want to scan
for available devices via "smartctl --scan". Then pick one and query its
info by "smartctl -a <DEVICE>".

I'd take up the occasion to run also "smartctl -t long <DEVICE>" so it does
a complete surface test, some disks do it very fast, others less so. In a
couple of hours you should have any and all SMART info about your drives.

Hope this helps, do remember that the pci-ide driver does not allow SMART
passthrough right now in Solaris. If you need some info like that, use a
Linux live CD.

Bryan